Thursday, July 5, 2007

And, yet again...

Two lovers rediscover themselves, submerge in a triangle and maybe even do their best to help save the world... all from the distant and exotic lands of Morocco. A Morocco strangely located in Burbank, California - but movie magic crosses borders at light speed!

So, my favorite romance of the decade is, quite obviously to anyone that knows me, Casablanca. It's not only because of how much I owe the movie... it did introduce me to film, and specially to classics, and for that I'll always be thankful. Casablanca, however, is beyond that... it's the sort of story that, the more I think about it, the more amazing and completely perfect it seems.

It is, however, a wonderful decade for Hollywood romance. My second favorite is probably that with Bette Davis's most endearing performance, the beautiful Now, Voyager, from the same year as Casablanca and co-starring two of its actors, Paul Henreid and the ever wonderful Claude Rains.

Also, the amazing pair of Bringing Up Baby, Kate Hepburn and Cary Grant, appear with the fresh adaptation of the hit show, The Philadelphia Story, also starring the wonderful Jimmy Stewart, that gets awful, awful flack for winning the Oscar that year.

In yet another Jimmy Stewart classic, right after he comes back from the war, Stewart stars in everybody's favorite Christmas story, It's a Wonderful Life. The touching, beautiful, hilarious and incredibly sweet Capra movie that has been loved by many for decades, is the epitome of everything Capra represented, wrapped up in a Christmas setting - just as it should be.

Let's just get it over and done with and go for any of the Tracy-Hepburn marvelous comedies - and my personal vote goes for Adam's Rib, one of the many (I'll admit it) of Katharine's films about the struggle of "modern" women to balance a career with an actual life.

To end this in a slightly more serious note (I do seem to prefer comedies, don't I?), I'll go for the adaptation of Ernest Hemingway's great novel: in the film Ingrid Bergman shot right after Casablanca, For Whom the Bell Tolls, (starring the eternal Hemingway hero, Gary Cooper) love blooms in the middle of a revolution, stirs up Spain and revives hope in the cause... or at least gives it depth. ¡Que viva la revolución!

No comments: